Old Age Pension Kerala , Eligibility , Benefits & Application Process
Application Process Benefits & Eligibility, Old Age Pension Kerala
The Indira Gandhi Old Age Pension scheme is a social security scheme that is meant for individuals who are more than 75 years old. The scheme makes a person who is about 75 years of age is eligible to receive an amount of Rs.1500 per month. The pension scheme allotted a sum of Rs.1200 in the year 2014 has been Rs.1500 since 2015. However, there are certain criteria that have to be fulfilled to avail the pension scheme.
Criteria for allocation of the pension
The criteria for allotting old-age pension as listed by the government is as follows
- The applicant should be a destitute
- The person who is applying for pension under this scheme should not be a recipient of any of the other social welfare pensions
- The person does not have anyone to look after him
- The person applying for the pension does not engage in begging
- The person should not be an inmate of a poor home
- The person must be over 60 years old
- The annual income of the family he belongs to is not over Rs.1,00,000
- He must be a resident of Kerala for a period not less than 3 years
- The application must be made at the office of the local body in the area where the person is residing.
Applying for the old-age pension scheme in Kerala
If a person fulfills the eligibility criteria for the pension scheme, he/she has to apply for the same. the steps are as follows
- The application form can be obtained from the local body office where the applicant resides and the relevant information has to be fulfilled.
- The application form should then be submitted in the local body office. It may be the Gramapanchayat, municipality or corporation as the case may be.
- Once the application is received, an enquiry would be conducted within 45 days of receiving the application. Post enquiry, the beneficiary list would also be finalized within 45 days of receipt of the application.
- An appeal against the beneficiary list should be made within 30 days. The appeal has to be made to the district collector
- Once the beneficiary list is made the pensioner who is in the list of beneficiaries would receive the specified pension amount from the first week of the month.
- The amount would then be disbursed on a regular basis.
Social security schemes are indeed beneficial for those who are underprivileged. It can be considered as one of the measures that the Kerala government adopts to reduce the poverty rate and people suffering from poverty.